Saturday, October 20, 2007

President never meant giving away forest lands

President never meant giving away forest lands
Guyana Chronicle, 19 October 2007

I watched in amazement as media persons asked the President to explain
what he meant by donating the forest area in Guyana.

The previous evening I had watched the opening ceremony for the meeting
for Finance Ministers and I had heard the President of Guyana saying
that Guyana is willing to donate its forest area for the purpose of the
struggle against climate change. Upon hearing this, Mr. Editor I never
entertained the thought that he meant that Guyana would be giving away
its forests to anyone, and I am no rocket scientist.

This is why I was amazed when I heard media persons asking for this to
be cleared up. This was totally silly and uncalled for. Are some of
these persons in the media so unintelligent that everything needs to be
spelled out, because I don’t think the President of this country would
mean that Guyana would be giving away all that land! Why then did this
statement become such an issue?

Mr. Editor, I wonder if these people in the media need to be more
educated before they get into the field. Or is it that I am
over-reacting?
CLARENCE PEARSON

No comments: