Friday, January 11, 2008

Unfair suggestion that Guyana was not properly represented at Bali

Unfair suggestion that Guyana was not properly represented at Bali
Guyana Chronicle, 9 January 2008
I agree with a letter writer in one of the daily newspapers that much
work needs to be done if Guyana is to be taken seriously where
compensation for its standing forests and funding to mitigate rising
sea levels which are occurring as a result of climate change, are
concerned.

However, to suggest that Guyana was not properly represented at the
Bali Summit on Climate Change I think is being somewhat unfair.

An international forum as such involved hundreds of countries’
representatives and Guyana, as a small developing nation, I assume
would have had little time to make any lengthy or substantive
presentations, let alone numerous presentations.

I have been hearing about this Climate Change issue for a while now, in
fact, I believe months now in Guyana, so I think the country was well
prepared.

I also admire the fact that Guyana, if successful, will be a role model
for other countries in a similar position. We need these results to be
positive and I commend the President of this country for taking such an
initiative to lobby for funds for the rainforest.Everyday, as the
rains continue to pour, I get worried and I keep hoping that it will
not fall long enough for parts of the country to become highly flooded.

Guyana needs help in this area as we are way below sea level and I
think we are very lucky to have been able to withstand any major
disaster where hundreds of people are killed like is occurring in other
countries.
A. B. YOUNGE

No comments: