Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Timber shipment questions

Timber shipment questions

I would like to share with your readers the following URL sent to me by a friend and which has informative articles on forestry and timber in Guyana - http://guyanaforestry.blogspot.com/

The site has four photographs of logs from Guyana being loaded on November 30 2006 from a pontoon in the Demerara River onto a Chinese-registered ship named "Rong Cheng".

I was struck by the large quantity of logs on the pontoon and the lack of any GFC or Customs presence in the photograph.

I called the Guyana Forestry Commission unsuccessfully on several consecutive days trying to get information on this shipment.

Through your newspaper I wish to ask the Commissioner of Forests the name of the timber exporter(s) with cargo on the "Rong Cheng", what timber species/volumes/values of logs were being exported, and the names of the consignees.

PATRICK JACKSON

No comments: